YOGA MONDAY'S - KUNDALINI YOGA EXPERIENCE

by - 3:09:00 PM



In the last couple of weeks I have really enjoyed getting into a consistent routine with exercise and gyming  The only downfall is that currently, a lot of my college classes conflict with the yoga timetable at gym. I am still getting to some classes, but not as many as I would like to. Last week Sunday my friend and I tried out the Kundalini Yoga class at Claremont Virgin Active. It is a 90 minute evening class and pretty packed! 

To be totally honest, we actually thought we were heading into a Hatha class. Only once the teacher introduced herself did we click! This was my first Kundalini class and I had always assumed (never assume) it was slightly more "airy fairy", compared to other yoga.

What is Kundalini Yoga - in short
Kundalini yoga is different to any other yoga I have tried. Just to give you a brief introduction, it is made up of meditation, mantras, physical exercise and breathing techniques. It engages all your untapped energy (prana) at the base of your spine and awakens each of the seven chakras. This type of yoga is very emotionally engaging and really awakens your senses. It is for everyone, a universal practice that is nondenominational. Kept secret and then taught by Yogi Bhajan who introduced to the west in the 1960's.

My personal experience
At the start of the class I was not prepared in anyway and having not researched this type of yoga I didn't know what to expect. The yoga teacher was really lovely and welcoming. She guided those of us who were new and explained everything with ease and grace. At first I struggled to follow her instruction and let go of my sense of control. I soon realised that most of the people in the class were regulars and this was a class really based on deeper experience not just the physical benefits of doing yoga and I let go.

You do not have to chant and you do not have to sing. Everything is guided and it is most certainly not airy fairy. The room is not heated but I worked up a serious sweat! I did find myself being more aware of self and a bit stiff the next day! It is different to my usual classes, it is something I will try again and I do recommend it. The class allowed me to not take myself so seriously and break down some boundaries. I also had a wonderful cry at the end of the class. As ridiculous as that may sound, I was feeling a little 'emotionally blocked' and by the end of the class I felt like I was in a safe environment where I could actually let go completely and it made me feel a lot better.

This type of yoga is not for everyone but I do suggest some research should be done before you go to a class because it can be a bit overwhelming and tricky to negate at first but if your open to trying something new then this is a winner!

If you have tried Kundalini Yoga I would love to hear your thoughts :)

You May Also Like

0 COMMENTS